Most of us have been in situations where we feel that our boss is difficult, sometimes even uncontrollable. These types of leaders generally fall into 4 different types of categories:
- The Autocrat – the leader who values their autonomy over everyone
- The one trick pony – this is somebody who has made a positive impact in a short space of time. There are 3 sub types of this leader:
- The lucky leader – the business climate worked in their favour and made it a lot easier for them succeed
- The single style leader – a single leadership approach that they took that was fit for the time but no longer relevant
- The casino leader – they undertook a high risk situation which paid off
- The personal maelstron leader – this is usually personal in nature and is someone who is out of control for totally different reasons (e.g. relationship breakdown, deep dissatisfaction with work)
- The Narcissist/ egomaniac – the worst kind where somebody has gained a position through average ability and high influencing skills. Underneath the surface however their behaviour can be self serving and unethical.